Kevin Hansen

Default Lathe way rebuilding

On 24 Aug 2003 15:03:56 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

But the economics still don't quite work:

Cost of original 10L machine: $800
Cost to re-work bed of same: 600

Total, $1400.

I found a nice newer 10L with a flame hard bed, for
$1800. Those economics work better:

Buy new machine for: $1800
Sell older machine: 800

Total, $1000.

==============
Jim, I give you an A for good sense, but a C- for your analysis.
Still, it might work to use this technique on the Other Half...

You failed to include the cost of the original machine in your cost of
the new machine. It should be:

Cost of original 10L machine: $800
Cost to re-work bed of same: 600

Total investment, $1400 for a reworked machine.

Newer 10L with a flame hard bed, for
$1800.

Cost of original 10L machine: $800
Buy new machine for: $1800
Sell older machine: 800

Total investment, $1800 for a newer machine.

Which is $400 MORE, not less... ;-)

But, that $400 still probably yields better value than reworking the
old machine when you consider all the other stuff you'd need to do in
addition to simply reworking the bed.

Kevin
Develop Windows(tm) Applications - in COBOL!
http://www.ScreenIO.com