Posted to alt.home.repair
BiloxiBoy

Default Seeking Advice - New Main Breaker & Sub-Panel

Thanks, Bob. That sounds like a great idea but I'm wondering if I can
buy a panel that has only a few spaces, and I guess I'd also have these
questions:

1. Since the entire house load calculates out to about 81 amps
(excluding central A/C), should I get a 100A main service panel, or
should I go higher? All the big appliances are gas - stove, dryer, and
central heat.
2. If I go higher, how high can I go before the service has to be
upgraded at the meter?
3. If I get a 100A panel, can I still run a sub panel to the shop (no
220) and still supply power to the central air?
4. What size main breaker would I need for the house panel, and does
it run off it's own breaker or will the main switch in the new main
panel suffice?

Sorry for all the questions, but it seems these are the kinds of things
that a lot of folks know a whole lot more about that I do...