Posted to alt.home.repair
BiloxiBoy

Default Seeking Advice - New Main Breaker & Sub-Panel

Wow Tom - Thanks for the reply, and for the compasion in your post. It
has, to say the least, been an interesting four months since Katrina!!
We have a loooong way to go, but every day with progress is a step in
the right direction...

In answer, here's what I have now:

The outdoor panel has four breakers; a 60A and a 30A to the two
existing sub-panels inside, a 40A for the A/C, and a 20A(??) for the
shop. There is no more room for any more breakers - at least not
double-pole.

I'm not sure on the ampacity on the existing panel outside as it is
very old and has no doubt seen its better days. No lables that I can
find!! The house was built in the 40's, and might have received a
minimal service upgrade in the 60's, but that's about it.

The service is overhead and there's a brand new meter can that I
installed in the days shortly after the storm while the power was still
off everywhere (the old one was ripped off the side of the house, and I
"straigntened" the mast out for re-use).

I'm not sure what the meter can is rated at, but here's a picture of
the meter, the existing service, and the new panel I have just wired
inside (not hot yet):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...icalIssues.jpg

Not sure on the guage of the wire from the meter to the existing panel,
but it is brand new since Katrina as I got it from the neighbor who had
it as leftovers since he had recently upgraded to 200A service. It is
bigger than what I took out - that I do know.

As for the trough, there is presently a steel conduit that connects the
two - and the present panel box is directly below the meter, but not an
integral part. There are two other unused knockouts on the bottom of
the meter can, and one on each side.

Again, I sincerely appreciate your input and your offer for assistance.
It's nice to know there are folks out there who recognize how things
are going around here.