Jack Erbes

Default Lathe way rebuilding

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:06:03 GMT, "ATP"
wrote:

Tony wrote:
No, it's more like a stub morse #5. Even that is off slightly, but
it's pretty close.

Is it South Bend's own taper?

I think it is the infamous No. 4-1/2 Morse taper. That was used to
get a taper that did not have excess length hanging out the front of
spindles with a nominal 1-3/8" I.D. Those are the spindles that are
large enough to accept a 5C collet body.

Many lathes (South Bend, Logan, Sheldon, Clausing, etc.) with 1-3/8"
I.D. spindles came with a hardened and ground MT 4-1/2 to MT 3 or MT 2
adapter so that commonly used MT 2 and 3 cutters and tooling MT could
be used in either the headstock or tailstock.

To make a adapter, steal the angle from inside the spindle with a dial
indicator mounted on the compound, turn it between centers from the
preferred metal, then mount it in the spindle and drill and bore or
ream the desired inside taper. Make match marks on the adapter and
spindle nose for indexing it. If you can get it hardened and ground
it would be good but an unhardened one will provide good service for
the average HSM shop.