Jack Erbes

Default Grease on lug nuts???

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 03:01:59 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Are you talking about white lead?

Nope, but I have a film can full of that, too, for use on the tailstock
dead-center on my lathe. This is finely-ground lead metal. It was once the
common filler for anti-seize compounds used at normal temperatures. I know a
couple of old mechanics who have squirelled away a tin or two of it, too.

Ed Huntress

Actually white lead is a carbonate, not finely ground metal. As used
in machine shops, it is a slurry of oil or light grease and white
lead. More info from ASTM he

http://tinyurl.com/l0lh

I don't say this to start an argument, I am uncomfortable with the
thought of someone thinking you can grinding up lead to make a
lubricant.

The easiest place to find white lead now is at art supply shops. That
will probably be pre-mixed with a drier but if you mix some oil in you
can probably get the lubricating properties needed for dead centers
and the like.

If you have a older South Bend with the little storage hole and dauber
on the tailstock, that was for storing white lead handy to the point
of usage. If you only have a mysterious hole, you have lost your
dauber.

Cheers.