Posted to uk.d-i-y
john

Default Wall fixings...

"Mike Clarke" wrote in message
In article , Mike Dodd
wrote:

Now, I think I'm right in saying that plasterboard fixings are not
appropriate here - I need the fixing to go into the blocks behing the
plasterboard. BUT, the block fixings that I've seen are intended for
direct mounting (i.e. the head of the fixing is flush with the block -
I've got the small issue of 12mm of plasterboard + air gap in the way.

80mm hammer in wallplugs like Screwfix 13953 or frame fixings (17286) or
other lengths to suit did the trick fine for me when I put a shelf on a
dry lined wall recently. Don't hammer them hard though or you could push
the plasterboard back towards the wall, just tap them in gently until they
line up with the surface and tighten up the screws with a screwdriver.

--
Mike Clarke

It's a real problem - perhaps Plasplugs can get their mind around it. Many
items have keyhole slots that need to have a screw tightly fastened into the
wall - yet with nothing to tighten up to many plugs will not open and grip.

John