Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Default Gunner's sig line

KewlKiwi wrote:

Clark Magnuson wrote:
4) Racist sexist males not only loose their jobs, but go to jail.

Where they will taught how to spell 'lose' correctly!

Sorry Clark, but that popular mistake really gets on my wick...

It's true that it's pronounced the same as 'loose' (in some countries),
but they are different words and are not spelt the same way.
-------
a href="http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/lose"lose/a
a href="http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/loose"loose/a
and see bottom of page http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Writing/l.html
-------

I know, I know... 'can just hear people muttering 'bloody spelling
net-cop! but do you actually use the same word for both?
i.e. "Hang on to your wallet, dont lose it" versus "dropped a bunch of
balls and they are rolling around loose on the floor"

Metalwork is about precision, and it can't hurt for metalworkers to try
and be precise in their language as well.

Bob

p.s. Those balls rolling around loose on the floor were from a ball
bearing...metal content!
p.p.s Feel free to tell me to **** off - but I do feel better now I've
had a rant [grin]

So I'm not the only one that bothers.

rant mode on

IT'S THE FREAKING INTERNET! SPELLING MATTERS!

rant off

But you have to imagine the look on some poor foot soldier when he got
told to "Lose the dogs of war!" :-)

Cheers
Trevor Jones