Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron

Default Cutting a Mirror that is glued to drywall?

(irobledo) wrote:

How can I cut a mirror that is glued to
my drywall. I am installing new
bathroom cabinets and they are taller
than the old ones. right now it is 78x42
and I want it 60x30.

I have tried to remove it but no luck, I
don't want to break it.

Thanks

--irobledo

You can't cut it unless it is removed.
*
We usually use suction cups to carefully work/pull the mirror loose, the
paper on the drywall will let loose before the mastic on the mirror
will.
*
Since you don't have suction cups the other option is to use piano wire
(I suggest braided) to remove it. If you use "regular" piano wire it
will get hot and break and it will take you forever to remove the
mirror. The braided wire will not break and the braided texture helps it
cut faster.
*
You can get this from a glass shop, odds are, you will have better luck
at an "Auto Glass" shop. Auto glass installers use this more than
glaziers do. You don't need a whole roll just about 20 ft, if it's
braided, if it's not braided, you might need a whole roll : )
*
I would use a piece about ten ft long, this way you have 2 pieces to
work with. (a spare)
*
This is assuming that you cut across the shortest end (42") If you have
to cut across the 78" obviously you will need a bigger piece, but it is
MUCH easier if you can cut across the shortest side.
*
You might not be able to do this if the 78" side of the mirror is
resting on a vanity top, or splash guard.
*
What you would do, is take a piece of wire about 4 ft longer than the
width, work as much of the wire that you can under one edge of the
mirror, leaving about 2 ft of wire (or more) on each side to work with.
*
Now, take two pair of vice-grips and lock them on each end of the wire,
then pull the wire back and forth in a "sawing" motion, while doing this
also pull the wire so that it will work it's way down (or across) the
back of the mirror. As you work you way across or down the mirror you
will find that it will be easier if you move the vise-grips up the wire
to shorten it instead of trying to cut/saw with such a long piece of
wire. *Tip-spray some Windex or sopy water between the wall and mirror
while cutting, this will lub the wire and it will also make the paper on
the drywall soft.

(This method of removal will probably be easier with two ppl)
*
Be CAREFUL! Always have someone applying light pressure to the mirror so
that it doesn't fall, wear gloves and safety goggles.
*
Just take your time and you will be able to remove the mirror and then
you can take it to a glass shop and have them cut it to size.*
*
Also, they is a slight possibility that you "might" cut into the silver
on the back of the mirror, making it worthless, but this rare if you are
careful......Always keep the wire as close as possible to the wall so
that the wire will cut the drywall paper and not into the silver on the
back of the mirror.
*
BTW, nobody can break into your house with a suction cup and glass
cutter

And, the only glass that is tempered in a bathroom is the shower
door(s).

A pro will not guarantee removal w/o breaking it but chances are if they
know what they are doing it's not that big of a deal. Glass shops don't
make any money on this kind of work so the guy(s) might not be as
careful as they should.

Hope this makes sense, my dog has been jumping in my lap wanting to go
out.....lol

*