Junior Member

Thumbs down Cutting a Mirror that is glued to drywall?

How can I cut a mirror that is glued to my drywall. I am installing new bathroom cabinets and they are taller than the old ones. right now it is 78x42 and I want it 60x30.
I have tried to remove it but no luck, I don't want to break it.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair
Levon

Default Cutting a Mirror that is glued to drywall?

just put cabinet where you want it, ignore the mirror...
use a firring strip or decent looking wood and wherever cabinet hangs off of
mirror?
use the wood to create the illusion that cabinet is actaully touching wall
where visible

--
irobledo

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Young

Good idea. No matter what method you use to cut the mirror there will be a
very good chance of it breaking. So I would either leave it alone or remove
it and replace with a suitable size.
Don Young

"irobledo" wrote in message

How can I cut a mirror that is glued to my drywall. I am installing new
bathroom cabinets and they are taller than the old ones. right now it
is 78x42 and I want it 60x30.
I have tried to remove it but no luck, I don't want to break it.

Thanks

--
irobledo

Posted to alt.home.repair

i was heating some old floor tiles by laying a towel over them and
heating with a cloths iron,,my buddy said it would work on a mirror
glued to a wall, but i havent tried it. lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

How can I cut a mirror that is glued to my drywall. I am installing new
bathroom cabinets and they are taller than the old ones. right now it
is 78x42 and I want it 60x30.
I have tried to remove it but no luck, I don't want to break it.

Thanks

Break it intentionally. It will feel better than breaking it
unintentionally. Or getting cut trying to save a mirror.

I have heard of forty different ways to get them off. None of the ideas
worked.

I have removed about five of them. After the first one, it was easy. I
learned from the first one you can't get it off in one piece, and if you do,
a day's labor is more than a new mirror. Just put down some protective
blankets on anything that can get cut, and break the thing. Use care, wear
gloves, safety glasses, and one of those Husqvarna helmets they wear when
logging is good, too.

Perhaps you could take a glass cutter, and cut grids on it so that when it
fractured, it might come off in predictable pieces. The ones I have seen
were all held on by a few globs of Liquid Nails, and not a lot of swirly
lines. So, the actual area on the back of the mirror that had adhesive on
it was relatively small.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 02:50:28 GMT, "Levon" wrote:

How can I cut a mirror that is glued to my drywall. I am installing new

I"m told you can't cut it at all. This was decades ago, but they had
a professional glass guy on tv who commented on the typical cat
burglar movie where the guy cuts a circle in the window and removes
the circul to unlock the windwo and get inside. He said it was
impossible, because the scoring has to be done on one side, and the
bending has to be done away from the scored line. Since you can't
bend your mirror, especially away from you, you wouldn't be able to do
it.

Any other glass people who can comment on this?

bathroom cabinets and they are taller than the old ones. right now it
is 78x42 and I want it 60x30.
I have tried to remove it but no luck, I don't want to break it.

Thanks

--
irobledo

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

mm wrote:

I"m told you can't cut it at all. This was decades ago, but they had
a professional glass guy on tv who commented on the typical cat
burglar movie where the guy cuts a circle in the window and removes
the circul to unlock the windwo and get inside. He said it was
impossible, because the scoring has to be done on one side, and the
bending has to be done away from the scored line. Since you can't
bend your mirror, especially away from you, you wouldn't be able to do
it.

Any other glass people who can comment on this?

One way to do it.
http://www.crlaurence.com/adv/catalogs/CRL33/287.pdf bottom of the
page

Don't always believe the stuff you see on the tube. This on IMDB
the Vincent Price movie, The Bat...
"Goofs: Revealing mistakes: The Bat uses a suction cup and a glass
cutter to cut a hole in the glass in order to reach in and unlatch the
door. The circular piece of glass attached to the suction cup is twice
as thick as the glass from which the hole has been cut. The glass
attached to the suction cup is also too thick to cut a hole in using a
simple glass cutter."

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron

irobledo wrote:
How can I cut a mirror that is glued to my drywall. I am installing new
bathroom cabinets and they are taller than the old ones. right now it
is 78x42 and I want it 60x30.
I have tried to remove it but no luck, I don't want to break it.

Thanks

--
irobledo

You can't cut it unless it is removed.

We usually use suction cups to carefully work the mirror loose, the
paper on the drywall will let loose before the mastic on the mirror
will.

Since you don't have suction cups the other option is to use "piano
wire" (I suggest braided) to remove it. If you use "regular" piano wire
it will get hot and break, and it will take you forever to remove the
mirror. The braided wire will not break and the braided texture helps
it cut faster.

You can get this from a glass shop, odds are, you will have better luck
at an "Auto Glass" shop. Auto glass installers use this more than
glaziers do. You don't need a whole roll just about 20 ft, if it's
braided, if its not braided you might need a whole roll : )

I would use a piece about ten ft long, this way you have 2 pieces to
work with. (a spare)

This is assuming that you cut across the shortest end (42") If you have
to cut across the 78" obviously you will need a bigger piece, but it is
MUCH easier if you can cut across the shortest side.

You might not be able to do this if the 78" side of the mirror is
resting on a vanity top, or splash guard.

What you would do, is take a piece about 4 ft longer than the width,
work as much of the wire that you can under one edge of the mirror,
leaving about 2 ft of wire (or more) on each side to work with.

Now, take two pair of vice-grips and lock them on each end of the wire,
then pull the wire back and forth in a "sawing" motion, while doing
this also pull the wire so that it will work it's way down (or across)
the back of the mirror. As you work you way across or down the mirror,
you will find that it will be easier if you move the vise-grips up the
wire to shorten it, instead of trying to cut/saw with such a long wire.

(This will probably be easier with two ppl)

Be CAREFUL! Always have someone applying light pressure to the mirror
so that it doesn't fall, and wear gloves and safety goggles

Just take your time and you will be able to remove the mirror and then
you can take it to a glass shop and have them cut it to size.

Also, they is a slight possibility that you "might" cut into the silver
on the back of the mirror, making it worthless, but this rare if you
are careful......Always keep the wire as close as possible to the wall
so that the wire will cut the drywall paper and not into the silver on
the back of the mirror.

Hope this makes sense, my dog has been jumping in my lap wanting to go
out.....lol

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"irobledo" wrote in message

How can I cut a mirror that is glued to my drywall. I am installing new
bathroom cabinets and they are taller than the old ones. right now it
is 78x42 and I want it 60x30.
I have tried to remove it but no luck, I don't want to break it.

Thanks

--
irobledo

It should be tempered glass in a bathroom. Even a pro will not guarantee
not breaking it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Daly

On 8-Jan-2006, mm wrote:

Since you can't
bend your mirror, especially away from you, you wouldn't be able to do
it.

Glass can split on a scored line due to shock (impact) as well as due to bending.
The score is a stress riser.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

SQLit wrote:
"irobledo" wrote in message

How can I cut a mirror that is glued to my drywall. I am installing new
bathroom cabinets and they are taller than the old ones. right now it
is 78x42 and I want it 60x30.
I have tried to remove it but no luck, I don't want to break it.

It should be tempered glass in a bathroom. Even a pro will not guarantee
not breaking it.

I'm aware of the code requirements for glass near a door, near a floor,
in a tub area, but I don't know of a code provision for tempered glass
for a mirror above a vanity. Never had a code examiner call it out on
numerous sets of plans either.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron

(irobledo) wrote:

How can I cut a mirror that is glued to
my drywall. I am installing new
bathroom cabinets and they are taller
than the old ones. right now it is 78x42
and I want it 60x30.

I have tried to remove it but no luck, I
don't want to break it.

Thanks

--irobledo

You can't cut it unless it is removed.
*
We usually use suction cups to carefully work/pull the mirror loose, the
[...]
What you would do, is take a piece of wire about 4 ft longer than the
width, work as much of the wire that you can under one edge of the
mirror, leaving about 2 ft of wire (or more) on each side to work with.
*
Now, take two pair of vice-grips and lock them on each end of the wire,
then pull the wire back and forth in a "sawing" motion, while doing this
also pull the wire so that it will work it's way down (or across) the
back of the mirror. As you work you way across or down the mirror you
will find that it will be easier if you move the vise-grips up the wire
to shorten it instead of trying to cut/saw with such a long piece of
wire. *Tip-spray some Windex or sopy water between the wall and mirror
while cutting, this will lub the wire and it will also make the paper on
the drywall soft.

(This method of removal will probably be easier with two ppl)
*
Be CAREFUL! Always have someone applying light pressure to the mirror so
that it doesn't fall, wear gloves and safety goggles.
*
Just take your time and you will be able to remove the mirror and then
you can take it to a glass shop and have them cut it to size.*
*
Also, they is a slight possibility that you "might" cut into the silver
on the back of the mirror, making it worthless, but this rare if you are
careful......Always keep the wire as close as possible to the wall so
that the wire will cut the drywall paper and not into the silver on the
back of the mirror.
*
BTW, nobody can break into your house with a suction cup and glass
cutter

And, the only glass that is tempered in a bathroom is the shower
door(s).

A pro will not guarantee removal w/o breaking it but chances are if they
know what they are doing it's not that big of a deal. Glass shops don't
make any money on this kind of work so the guy(s) might not be as
careful as they should.

Hope this makes sense, my dog has been jumping in my lap wanting to go
out.....lol

*

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Steve B, wigginsgg wrote:
We just removed a large mirror without breakage. It took a little less than an
hour, as we were very cautious. We used shims which we tapped to loose the
adhesive.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...all-77847-.htm

New Drywall Question C Home Repair 5 January 16th 05 03:21 PM
Cutting Seqments for Turning Lobby Dosser Woodturning 2 November 13th 04 02:17 AM
cutting board John Grossbohlin Woodworking 12 September 24th 04 12:12 AM
Drywall screws for metal studs prone to strip, please help. andy everett Home Repair 2 August 23rd 03 07:10 PM