Suz

Default Matt Finish

"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote in message
. ..
John wrote:

Just about to decorate the hall and stairs after stripping off the
wallpaper. SWMBO has suggested painting the walls.

I like a really good flat matt finish and we have chosen some matt

paint.
Any tips on how to maximise the flat matt finish. Are some rollers

better
than others in this respect? Any tips for brush finishing around the

edges
to maintain a matt texture?

The best way to get a really matt finish is to use Farrow and Ball

paints.

What you put them on with is (almost) irrelevant. Nothing else touches
them for dead flatness and solidity of color.

This isn't the first time that I've heard this. I really must try them
sometime.

Aren't other traditional paints such as distemper also known for their
flatness?

Distemper may be flat, but it isn't a best wearing surface. Somewhere like
the hall and stairs you may find it comes off on your clothes. We had it in
a hall when I was young and my bro, 13 and six foot, used to jump the stairs
crash into the wall and get the distemper on his brown school blazer. Of
course that was the 1970s maybe there are more 'modern' distempers. Sounds
like a contadiction though...

If you have wains or teenagers I'd advise SWMBO (the decision maker) to go
for satin finish. OK its not very flat, maybe not even flat at all, but at
least you can wipe marks off easily.