Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Addison

Default Advice required on 10 year old central heating system..

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 13:43:20 +0000, in uk.d-i-y Mike Myers
wrote:

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 12:53:04 GMT, Phil Addison
wrote:

Plastic and copper pipe is inter-operable so should fit the same if you
have 10mm TRVs. They are more commonly available as 15mm though which
you could use with a 15/10mm reducer.

Thanks for that Phil.

One final bit of info, will I need to cut the plastic pipe to fit the
new olive and nut on for the compression fitting into the TRV/Radiator
Valve? I believe the pipe is HEP20.

Why would you want to cut it, unless it is damaged? It must me in good
condition, and you must use the special stainless steel inserts in the
cut end to support the pipe wall at the fitting end. Actually I'm not
sure if that is true for 10mm, but it certainly is for 15mm - check on
the Hep20 website http://www.hepworthplumbing.co.uk/

Do read up on the instructions. It is easy to use, but important to cut
it cleanly with the special knife (£4-£5 for a generic one) and to make
sure the pipe is inserted the full depth in the fittings. The Hep pipe
has marks on it to facilitate that. And I repeat, don't forget to use
the steel inserts in each cut end.

If I do have to cut I may need extra pipe for the downstairs rads.
They have elbows at 90 degrees to allow the pipe to go into the walls.
The upstairs have extra length which I can pull through the floor,
they go directly down.

Looking around on the net, it appears 50m is the smallest length of
10mm pipe I can get, clearly I need less than a metre. Any idea where
I can find or aquire "cut offs"?

15mm is sold in 3m straight lengths. 10mm might be too. If you can't get
a short length just use a length of copper instead. It is totally
compatible so you could come out of the TRV in 10mm copper (or 15 for
that matter - may be a cheaper TRV?) and use a plastic or compression
coupler to connect to your existing pipe work. Actually it is preferable
to use copper where it is visible anyway, as plastic never runs in a
true straight line and sags slightly when hot.

Also are the Sentinel X400 and X100 products ok for use with plastic
piped systems?

Yes. But check the Hep site.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/