Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Default Drilling on the Lathe - 3 Qs

Owen Lowe wrote:

In article v7zvf.2711$uy3.2186@trnddc08,
Lobby Dosser wrote:

There's a nice looking set at Woodcraft online for $18, but I don't
see one for $10. Might want to call them. I don't recall ever seeing
one in the store. 'Course, I wasn't looking for one.

These are the items I saw with Woodcraft online:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=784

I didn't see this.

I've not seen them at the local place either - but likewise, hadn't
looked before.

Oh, I see what you found:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=7349 Would a hand-held
tool work better than a tailstock mounted chuck?

That's the item. I've never tried drills that small in a tailstock chuck,
so I don't really know. I'd guess that there would be more lateral
displacement with a drill chuck and wire drill adapter in the tailstock
than there would be with the drill in a dremel or a pin vise. I've
drilled using the dremel (freehand and mounted on a stand), but prefer
using a pin vise.

Let us know which way you go and how it works.