Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

Default What Exactly IS a "Hybrid" table saw?

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 11:20:11 GMT, "Charles Self"
wrote:

"JJ" wrote in message
. ..
I see every manufacturer is coming out with "Hybrid" tablesaws. Is this
just a contractor saw with a closed base? Do you align it by whacking the
trunnions (like a contractor saw) or by adjusting the table (like a
cabinet
saw)? Is there an advantage to the owning one of these?

I did this once and my damned mouse twitched, so let's try again.

The hybrid table saw offers some advantages, and one disadvantage, in
relation to contractor's saw. Make that two disadvantages: it also costs
more. It is heavier and hard to move. Otherwise, the hybrid has 1-1/2 to
1-3/4 HP, usually, an enclosed motor, and at least a partially enclosed
base
(the Craftsman models include one that has a completely enclosed base, but
the first hybrid, the DeWalt, still offers only a half enclosed base, as
does the Jet). The top is adjusted like that on a cabinet saw, not like
that
on a contractor's saw. This combines with the slightly smaller footprint
and
the greater weight to be major advantages. And yes, I do remember that I
noted above that the heavier weight is a disadvantage in relation to
contractor's saws. Think about it for a bit.

The enclosed or partially enclosed base means the saw MUST have a TEFC
motor, but it also means that dust collection can be a lot more efficient
than it is on any contractor's saw.

I've got the Craftsman top of the line, and am very satisfied with it. The
Biesemeyer fence helps a great deal. I'm told that most of the people who
worked on the Craftsman design used to work for Delta, and the saw shows
it.
Even the Unisaw table insert fits.

Probably an Orion design. A handful of the best from Delta who did
not want to relocate when the Company was consolidated with PC.

If you decide to get one, compare features carefully, because where there
used to be one, there are about seven at this time.

Does yours have a Contractor mechanical design (trunion/tiebar
carriage assembly attached to the table)? Do all the hybrids or are
there design differences?

There are design differences. A couple of the magazines have had articles on
hybrids--Workbench, I know--but I think even down the Craftsman line there
are differences of more than cabinet skirting and fences.