CROQ

Default Grease on lug nuts???

Peter Reilley wrote in message
I had my wheels balanced and for the third time the lug nuts
came loose a few days later. I watched them use a torque
wrench to tighten them. I have alloy wheels. When I put the
nuts on I stand on the lug wrench and bounce a little. They
don't come loose when I do that.

Anyway, I was wondering if I should grease the threads. I don't
grease them now. The theory being that the increased friction
would keep them from loosening. An opposing theory is
that with greased threads the same torque would put a higher
tension on the stud. This would reduce any slight movement
thereby reducing the likelihood of the nuts coming loose.

So which is better; grease or no grease?

Pete.

I do not remember if it was in a Toyota manual or info that came with a set
of aluminum American Racing wheels, but re-torquing the lug nuts 100 miles
after wheel R&R was suggested for aluminum wheels. Something about possible
loosening due to expansion/contraction of the aluminum.

FWIW