Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Homemade Poly/oil finishes

"Bob Threlkeld" wrote in message
oups.com...

I am using a 1/3 mixture of urethane, boiled linseed oil, and mineral
spirits on highly figured pine. I have another issue...I dipped,
dried, sanded the piece several times and it looks good, but when I put
the piece in the sun, it "sweats" beads of finish. I assume it isn't
really dry. Is there a better way to dry the piece instead of air
drying? I live at 9,000' feet with 20% hunidity.

You need to apply in discreet coats, wiping well in between. What you have
now is oil which cures by oxygen cross-linking trapped under a film of
barely-cured oil, which walls out oxygen.

That's for the future. Since you soaked this one, warm it up to speed
chemistry and keep wiping up the bleed-through.