Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

Default Ebay prices crack me up!

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message
Joe Barta writes:

I have no use for jerkoffs that sell a $20 item for $5 then charge $40
for shipping. They might as well have tattooed on their forehead...
"I'm a dishonest putz but I don't have the wit or the courage to be
any good at it." I never buy anything from those types because you
don't know what other lame surprises are in store for you.

I know guys who sold Xbox 360s at huge profits on Ebay before Christmas.

They charged $40 to $50 shipping and justified it as covering shipping,
Ebay, and Paypal fees. The 50% to 100% profit they made couldn't cover
the Ebay and Paypal fees??

Shipping fees should cover the cost to get something to me, not be a huge
profit margin for the seller. Some sellers sell stuff for 1 cent and
charge $19.95 shipping to get around Ebay fees as Ebay doesn't charge
their cut on shipping.

I got a friend to Ebay some old books for me, stuff I hadn't looked at in a
decade or more, but that was useful and costly when bought and might be
useful to others. Most sold for $1.50 or so. I listed a flat $5 shipping, no
deals. Most cost $1.40 for postage and a buck for the envelope. I "made" $2
or so extra on each book because of the postage...but I had to address the
envelopes, drive them into town and stand in line to ship the suckers.

My decision: I'd rather throw the books away next time it happens. It's a
PITA, got my buddy six or seven neutral feedbacks because of the shipping
costs, and basically didn't bring in enough to cover the time and energy of
entering the books on Ebay.