Bob Powell

Default 0.035" Bandsaw Blade Thickness

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
The standard blade thickness on the common 4x6 bandsaw is 0.025". However,

have found a source of 64.5"x0.5" blades with a 0.035" thickness. Any
pros/cons to consider in using a blade of this thickness? Has anyone tried

0.035" thick blade on a 4x6 bandsaw?

Thanks,
Michael

I have a couple of 64-1/2" x .035" blades, they won't work at all for me,
they are too stiff to make the "twist" in the short distance between the
wheels and the guides. I could get them mounted, but even with the tension
at max they just popped off the wheels as soon as the saw was turned on.

Years ago I got a lifetime supply of "oops" blades cheap, all good Lenox
bi-metal. Some were mistakenly made from .035" stock which is where the
above comes from. Fortunately most were .025" blades that were just too
short - 63-1/2" to 64". I was able to cut and file the saw casting to get
the upper wheel adjustment range down far enough to use them.

Bob