Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Lanciani

Default Amazed at Box Store Apathy (long)

In article om, (louie) writes:
| Unfortunately, for me and probably many others who continue to feed
| stores like HD, the only saving grace of these stores are the hours. I
| can go in there after work hours and get what I need for that evening
| or weekend project. Many local hardware stores have closed by the time
| I can get there.

Another feature of home centers is that they are actually willing to sell
to us. We had a local place (open only to 5 of course) that had a pretty
good selection of plumbing, electrical, and some general building supplies.
The prices weren't great, but it was local business. They had a change of
management and became "trades only." I went in one day to get a faucet stem
and was told that I needed to be accompanied by a licensed plumber with an
account. Now some years later I hear they have reconsidered and are willing
to deal with the general public for some (non-professional?) items, but I
just don't have the urge to beg them to take my money...

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com