Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

Default Amazed at Box Store Apathy (long)

"Goedjn" wrote in message

There are still women around who stay home and do a lot of nothing, just
because hubby's making a boatload of money, so wifey doesn't need to work.
don't like the image, either, but it is NOT a fantasy of mine.

That's because you lack imagination. Running a household properly
is one of the more complicated and directly rewarding jobs known to
humankind. It does not, unfortunately, generate a lot of cash.
The only problem with many home-makers is that they haven't
got the slightest idea what to do with the situation they find
themselves in, (or, in some cases, that they should do anything
at all.)

Oh, I know. I'm doing it alone (divorced). It's satisfying, but a pain in
the ass sometimes. I spent 2 years in an apartment after the separation. I
told a number of friends "Gotta get outta this apartment ASAP. I need a
garden again, and I enjoy working on a house". Be careful. Sometimes you get
what you asked for. Like this week: What should've been a 20 minute faucet
washer replacement, for a total of 50 cents plus the little package of
packing cord, has turned into a nightmare because the previous owner
stripped half the fittings. Luckily, I have a plumbing store from heaven
about 10 minutes away, where they always have all the answers, and every
part known to man, even for really old houses. But still...I was planning on
being a slob on the couch tomorrow. I guess not.