Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Bud

Default Amazed at Box Store Apathy (long)

nospambob wrote:
We were lucky at the time we redid our 2.5 bathrooms as the clerk
worked as a civil servant for the Dept of Navy and moonlighted at HD.
Has was a plumber and had endless energy that showed when he ran up
the ladder to retrieve something stored overhead.

When I was 17-18 (20 yrs ago) I worked at a radioshack for a couple of
years. The 5pm-9 guy I worked with just started his own business and
moonlighted at RS. He was an engineer, decent people skills, and very
smart. I was a computer geek (WAS??) and we both made $10+ an hour
(commission). Not bad for 1985 (about $17.75 in today's $$$).

We had people come into our store just because we knew what the hell we
were talking about, and we offered service. The soccer mom who's
cordless phone went bad came in because we would solder the leads on
for free for her. If we had time we'd build stuff for people all the
time. The engineer would design some circuits for people, I would
create a wiring diagram for people who had no clue how to hook up their
cable box, VCR, and 3 TV. I even wrote a BASIC program for a lawyer
who wanted to make a word search puzzle for his kid.

And we didn't close at 5.