Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Bud

Default Amazed at Box Store Apathy (long)

Robert Allison wrote:
Doug Kanter wrote:
"louie" wrote in message
ps.com...

Unfortunately, for me and probably many others who continue to feed
stores like HD, the only saving grace of these stores are the hours. I
can go in there after work hours and get what I need for that evening
or weekend project. Many local hardware stores have closed by the time
I can get there.

Next time you're at one of your "real" hardware stores, you should ask the
manager or owner when they're having their going out of business sale. He'll
look at you like you're crazy, and then you can explain that the store's
hours are only appropriate for the unemployed who can visit any time of the
day, before 5:00. My local hardware store's open till 7:00 Mon-Fri, except
Thursday until 8:00. At least it's enough time to catch the majority of
people who leave work by 6:00. Another store nearby was only open until
5:30. That store's gone.

That is only true to the extent that the hardware store caters
to homeowners. The "real" hardware stores and suppliers that
I use don't really care that much for "shoppers".

That's their problem, they don't care much for "shoppers". Yet all
these shoppers continue to keep HD and Lowes in business. Apparently
us "shoppers" have a little more money than the hardware stores
realize.

I will admit that alot of stores have closed due to
competition. If it were not for us "unemployed" contractors
and service people, they would probably be long gone already.

Just to give you an example; I am a small general contractor.
Since it is the end of the year, I can tell you that I have
spent about $26,000 at the borgs. Compared to about $240,000
at "real" lumberyards, hardware stores, and other suppliers.
As long as we are here, they may have a chance to survive.

Maybe, but if they continue to ignore the regular 9-5 or 9-6 (or 8-6 in
some cases) workers, you may end up buying everything from the borg.

I ALWAYS go to HD. There's a true value about 1/2 mile further down
the road, but I find their prices high, they don't have nearly as much
stuff, and they don't have any more knowledgable people on their floor
then HD. AND their hours suck. The one by me isn't even open on
Sunday...

Hell, HD was open new year's day from 8-5.