Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
J. Clarke

Default Drilling on the Lathe - 3 Qs

Owen Lowe wrote:

In article ,
Kevin Miller wrote:

Don't know what a #60 bit is, but sounds pretty small. When I've had to
drill really small holes in the past w/o wandering I've used my dremel.
At really high speeds it doesn't seem to want to grab and wander
around. George can explain why. g I just know it's worked for me...

Yeah, it's the smallest drill that my local Ace carries. I wanted even
smaller but was out of luck. The #60 is .040". I hadn't thought of my
Dremel and may give that a try. Lots of option advice given: high speed,
burn, reverse direction - will post what worked the best.

If you need smaller, you can get a 61-80 set from Micro-tools
http://www.micro-tools.com for 8 bucks. If you need smaller than #80
(.0135), McMaster http://www.mcmaster.com has specialty bits down
to .0019 but they're on a 1/32" shank, have limited flute length, and cost
about 12 bucks a shot. http://www.store.yahoo.com/drillcity/ has a good
assortment as well, including resharpened carbide microbits.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate