Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

Default Drilling on the Lathe - 3 Qs

In article ,
Kevin Miller wrote:

Don't know what a #60 bit is, but sounds pretty small. When I've had to
drill really small holes in the past w/o wandering I've used my dremel.
At really high speeds it doesn't seem to want to grab and wander
around. George can explain why. g I just know it's worked for me...

Yeah, it's the smallest drill that my local Ace carries. I wanted even
smaller but was out of luck. The #60 is .040". I hadn't thought of my
Dremel and may give that a try. Lots of option advice given: high speed,
burn, reverse direction - will post what worked the best.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.