Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison

Default Amazed at Box Store Apathy (long)

Doug Kanter wrote:
"louie" wrote in message
ps.com...

Unfortunately, for me and probably many others who continue to feed
stores like HD, the only saving grace of these stores are the hours. I
can go in there after work hours and get what I need for that evening
or weekend project. Many local hardware stores have closed by the time
I can get there.

Next time you're at one of your "real" hardware stores, you should ask the
manager or owner when they're having their going out of business sale. He'll
look at you like you're crazy, and then you can explain that the store's
hours are only appropriate for the unemployed who can visit any time of the
day, before 5:00. My local hardware store's open till 7:00 Mon-Fri, except
Thursday until 8:00. At least it's enough time to catch the majority of
people who leave work by 6:00. Another store nearby was only open until
5:30. That store's gone.

That is only true to the extent that the hardware store caters
to homeowners. The "real" hardware stores and suppliers that
I use don't really care that much for "shoppers". They cater
to people like me (general contractor) that may not even come
to the store at all. I will call and say that I need 200
bolts of some kind and then have one of my helpers go and pick
them up or just have them delivered. When I need plumbing
supplies or electrical, I call my plumber or electrician.
When I need lumber, I fax a list to my "real" lumberyard and
they deliver it. For those of us that are "unemployed" and do
this for a living, the hours are just fine. Except for those
times that we have failed to PLAN AHEAD and have to run to
home depot for something just because it is open.

When that hardware store goes out of business, then you will
HAVE to rely on the borgs, where you will have to special
order anything but the most commonly used items.

I will admit that alot of stores have closed due to
competition. If it were not for us "unemployed" contractors
and service people, they would probably be long gone already.

Just to give you an example; I am a small general contractor.
Since it is the end of the year, I can tell you that I have
spent about $26,000 at the borgs. Compared to about $240,000
at "real" lumberyards, hardware stores, and other suppliers.
As long as we are here, they may have a chance to survive.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.