Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Default electrical questions GFCIs, grounding, and code

Personally I think you have it pretty well covered with the
exception of moving an existing unit. I'd just by another -
they're not that expensive these days. Looks like you have a
decent understanding of the situation.

I would however, if it were me anyway, find a way to at least add
an earth for your electronic gear (computer, stereo, etc.); that
way you could use the better surge protectors. The breaker panel
units are good, but ... not as good as something right at the
equipment bieng protected. As long as there's an earth there you
can use.
Have you checked to see if maybe some of the wiring is 3-wire?
That might help a lot with getting some of the outlets grounded.

wrote in message
oups.com...
: Hi there
:
: My questions are at the bottom. First, some background:
:
: I just bought a house with mostly ungrounded outlets. The
outlet
: boxes are not grounded either. My goal is simply to be able to
: safely plug three-prong devices into outlets in every room
without
: spending an arm and a leg grounding outlets, some of which are
: over a slab.
:
: After some research, I've decided to replace the first outlet
on every
: circuit with a GFCI outlet (leaving it ungrounded). I'll then
replace
: every downstream outlet with a three-prong outlet (leaving them
: all ungrounded) and label them per code. A local electrician
tells
: me this is all code complaint.
:
: Then I'll have a whole-house surge protector installed. My
thinking is
: that the surge protector will protect my ungrounded electronics
from
: the more destructive surges while the GFCIs will keep faulty
devices
: from electrocuting anyone.
:
: I know this still leaves electronics vulnerable to surges
originating
: inside the home, but I'm willing to risk it unless someone has
: pointer to examples of electronic devices being damaged by this
: sort of surge.
:
: So my questions:
:
: 1) What am I missing? Does this all sound reasonable?
: 2) My kitchen has two GFCI outlets (each side of sink) on the
: same circuit. Can I pilfer one and use it elsewhere in the
house
: or will this be a code violation?
: 3) I have two bathrooms on the same circuit, each with one
outlet
: and both outlets have GFCIs. The first outlet in this circuit
is in a
: bedroom across the hall. Can I move one GFCI to the bedroom
and
: replace the other with a regular 3-prong outlet?
:
: Thanks!
: