Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Bud

Default How to stop an HOA from blowing a quarter million bucks

Just on the face of what you have written, and not having seen the
place, I would be inclined to bite the bullet and go with the repairs
vs. buying into a divisive issue and bad blood for years. That opinion
formed by living with deadbeats who own million dollar boats but would
let the condo fall down around them rather than make needed and
appropriate repairs. I also have the experience of being assaulted by a
loonie board member who perceives board membership as a license to do
anything to anyone. If you have a close split and a bunch that doesn't
want to spend money on anything, you may wind up 1. on the board, 2.
having owners attracted who do not want to maintain the place and run it
into the ground. Our assn. has about half who don't want to do
anything, has had speculators come in, get on the board, vote for their
cronies and flip the property for more than 100% profit. The owners who
give a damn wind up doing roof repairs themselves. I kid you not! Good
luck.

Just to clarify, these are site condos, and the only common property
are the roads and a few strip of grass here and there. Each person is
reponsible for maintaining their own house.