Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Spiral turning

Darrell:

You are certainly the one that comes to mind when I think of someone
that is trying to keep a handle on things dollarwise. No telling how
many people your website has inspired to do not only many of the things
you have so wonderfully detailed, but then to go out and do something
on their own.

I have given your website address to many, and while only a couple have
actually done something with the info, I think in time many will. It
took some pictures and explanations for them to actually understand
that the needed tools aren't necessarily the ones being pushed by some
famous turner, and that what we are doing is not brain surgery. Making
their own tools just never crossed their minds.

I don't want this craft to go the way of golf. I was never a serious
duffer by any means, but now.. forget it. Only the well to do or
subsidized can afford that sport. And what it has done to the sport?
Mostly older, well heeled retirees play. I don't have any problem with
that at all, but I don't want to see woodturning go that route. Almost
none of my old buddies that grew up playing the muni courses as kids
play anywhere anymore. Simply too expensive.

We need to keep all the old ones, new ones, and any of the interested
ones. And like anything else, this is a dollar driven issue. Only if
it stays popular/affordable will it continue to grow and evolve at this
exciting pace.

And Darrell, I know I speak for many, many netizens here. Thank you so
much for your unselfish efforts to document, organize and post your
ideas and efforts.

Just keep it up, OK? ;^)

Robert