Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ken Moon

Default Homemade Poly/oil finishes

"Kip" wrote in message
oups.com...

John W wrote:
I've been experimenting with proportions for a homemade poly/oil finish
(poly, blo,& tung).

Has anyone had success with a blend and application process that will
give a
satin finish and good hyde?

I have used one part by volume each of gloss polyurethane varnish, 100%
tung oil and naphtha or paint thinner. I normally apply a coat of Deft
first, wiping on with a paper towel, allow to dry, steel wool or
scotchbrite then rub in several caots of the oil varnish mix, using
steel wool or scotchbrite in between coats. Finish looks best when
buffed and waxed

=======================
Kip,
I've seen a similar procedure advocated before and I have a question about
it. For me, the most useful thing the oil (tung, boiled linseed, etc.) does
is "pop the grain. By applying Deft (or lacquer, shellac, etc) you're
sealing the surface of the wood. So my question is: do you Scotchbrite or
steel wool all of it off, or are you building your oils over the surface of
the sealer? I like to do the oil first, then layer on the other ingredients.
That way the wood has a chance to absorb the colorant deeper into the wood.
Am I missing something here??

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.