Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

Default Goodman Heat Pump

"Bubba " ReMoVe wrote in message
Don't listen to the Dr.
He's really a siding salesman in disguise. Wouldn't know a brick from
a furnace.
Bubba :-)

Vinyl or Aluminum?

;-]

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 21:02:19 -0500, "Bob" wrote:

Kathy, I respect your loyalty to the company you work for, but the sad
truth
is, that just about everything Dr. Hardcrab says is true. I've had similar
experiences.

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message

"Kathy" wrote

I'm the office girl. Lots
of posters to this group and especially alt.hvac
like to trash Goodman products but truely I don't
understand it. To me they really seem like the best
bang for your buck and we do sell other brands.

My company LOVES them. We make a lot of money repairing
them......constantly...

Seriously:

The main problem with Goodman (other than they are poorly made and look

like
crap after just a couple of years because they fade/rust out so bad) is

that
they will sell to any "Joe Blow" off the street. So you get some guy
that
knows how to solder pipes and hook up the electric and all of a sudden,

you
got AN INSTALLER!!! Most of the time these "installers" don't know what

they
are doing (other than hooking the electric up and soldering pipes). You

can
tell because you can see where they use plumming solder, no filte/driers

are
used (which probably means they never vacuumed the system out properly),
units are set too close to the house (or other objects), and plenty of

other
"tell tale" signs that an unprofessional installed it. Of course when
the
homeowner asks "Why did the compressor crap out when it's only 2 years
old???" you ask them who installed the unit and of course they don't
remember. Then you suggest that they call the installer and have him fix

it
because it surely must be under warranty and they say "the guy won;t

return
my calls" or "he went out of business" or some other excuse.

Sure! Goodman can be installed properly and you can make it work the way

it
should for cheaper than other brands. But probably 75% of them don't
last
much past their warranty. At least most of the ones I have dealt with
were
probably better off being put out of their misery.

Maybe they will improve someday. But right now, my company will not

install
them. There are a few other brands that we feel the same way about. Even
after our company warranty is up, we don't want our customers getting

****ed
at us for installing they are going to be unhappy with down the road.

I have a good friend that manages the distribution center in my area. He
knows how I feel but he said he's not too worried because they keep
flying
out the door.

Now, to be honest: I have only dealt with the 12 SEER and lower units. I
have never seen or worked on anything in their "High Efficiency"
line.....