Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Default Blueing products

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 15:14:02 -0600, Rex B wrote:

If you don't have a horse, you can plumb the outhouse like they did in
the South during the War of Northern Aggression.

I'm from Lancashire. Those Yorkshire types over the hill used to
collect barrels of it. Supposedly it was for washing woolen fleeces down
in the sheepmines, but I've been to Tadcaster and I know the real
secret.

Human urine is of little use though - you want horses, because you want
big high-volume herbivores and cows have a relatively wetter diet, so
it's more dilute.

No personal experience. I just recall a civil-war era photo in one of
the Foxfire books, in the article about rifle-making.