Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kip

Default Homemade Poly/oil finishes

John W wrote:
I've been experimenting with proportions for a homemade poly/oil finish
(poly, blo,& tung).

Has anyone had success with a blend and application process that will give a
satin finish and good hyde?

I have used one part by volume each of gloss polyurethane varnish, 100%
tung oil and naphtha or paint thinner. I normally apply a coat of Deft
first, wiping on with a paper towel, allow to dry, steel wool or
scotchbrite then rub in several caots of the oil varnish mix, using
steel wool or scotchbrite in between coats. Finish looks best when
buffed and waxed

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by hyde.

Hope this helps

Kip Powers
Rogers, AR