Dan Musicant

Default 1200 degree High heat spray paint stinks, literally

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:13:22 -0700, "Bob May"
wrote:

:The paint needs curing and that takes a while at high temps. The stuff does
:stink a lot at the beginning and will eventually stop but it does want a
:fair bit of high temp time to get there. Header paint takes quite a few
:hours to finally stop its outgassing but much of that time it is kind of
:minimal and is acceptable on a set of headers. In the house, it may be bad
:smelling for a lot longer so do a good bake outside in the barbecue or other
:good heat source. I'll also note that the higher temp, the faster the smell
:goes away.
:For the griddle in the stove, I'd really suggest that you just take it to a
:chroming shop and have them nickel plate it again. This is just the first
:two steps of the chroming process so it will be a little cheaper (maybe $10)
:than a full chrome process and if you get the polish to where you want it
:before you give it to them and tell them not to polish it up anymore, that
:will probably save more. In addition, you may want to have a extra thick
:nickel but that is something that you may want to talk to the chrome plater
:about.

Definitely something to consider. I think now that the griddle cover
will be OK in terms of smell if I bake it in the oven at 575 degrees an
hour or two, which I did today to the in-oven sheet and I have a feeling
that took care of the smell. It didn't smell that way after an hour or
so. My biggest concern, I guess, is just that it will eventually get
scratched up. Maybe I'll go in a shop or two and ask them what they
would charge before painting the stove top stuff.

Thanks for the ideas.

Dan