Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Cap

Default Advice required on 10 year old central heating system..

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 15:47:04 +0000, alexbartman
wrote:

I really think you're better off to move in and see what happens but
Power Flushing is really terribly straightforward - and there is
absolutely no need to pay the £650 +VAT that BG want for doing it.
I hired a Power flush pump and chemicals(bought those!!) for the grand
sum of £95 and followed the very detailed instructions to the letter.
Took me 3 hours and it has given my CH and HW a new lease fo life. BG
had told me that the boiler was irrepairable and could not stop it
"kettling". Now it's a smooth and quiet as new and although it wont
last forever (its 18 years old) I have bought time to work out what to
do when im ready to replace it. I hired my unit from Kamco in St
Albans, herts - sure there is soemwhere near you that can do the same

My boiler is actually older than yours and was also kettling quite
badly. I used the Screwfix offering for cleaning the system, left it
in there for the maximum 5weeks and then injected the Fernox treatment
once that was washed out.

The system has been as quiet as a mouse this winter and I expect to
get a few more years out of it yet. Many of these so called engineers
are no more than salesmen or more acurately, conmen.

Andy