James Waldby

Default Two headed nickel

Abrasha wrote:
I just made myself one of these double sided nickels. Jim,
thanks again for the email and for the photos.

It took me about 30 minutes. It came out all right, albeit not perfect.

This "double nickel" is going to make a great April Fools day
present for my oldest son who collects coins. One of his prized
possessions is a double strike quarter, so a two headed nickel
might get some attention too.

Jim sent the photos to me also, and with his permission
I combined some of them together and posted to the dropbox:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/nickel2head.txt
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/nickel21.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/nickel22.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/nickel23.jpg

nickel21.jpg (64KB) - Nickel chucked in shop-modified soft
collet, being bored; nickel in collet after boring; closeup
of two bored nickels.

nickel22.jpg (48KB) - Round stock with .800" faced and turned;
bored nickel in place on end of stock; using tailstock, live
center, and bushing to hold nickel in place for turning to
remove rim.

nickel23.jpg (28KB) - Closeup of one bored nickel with rim,
and other bored nickel with rim removed; closeup of nickel
as pressed together.

-jiw