Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger

Default Telephone wiring

The message
from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

I converted my place from a single hard wired phone when I moved in some
30 years ago. First to a couple of extra phones and then to the plug in
system. Not had a BT 'inside' engineer ever - although they replaced the
outside wiring after an incident with a mobile crane.;-)

My original master socket plus an extension socket were fitted when I
signed up for Micronet back in the early 80s. Last year I reported a
fault which was eventually traced to a junction box a mile away but
while the BT engineers were at the house they changed the master socket
to a new one without asking and didn't so much as mention the fact that
I had obviously shifted the wiring in a manner that would have required
disconnection from the still existing oval junction box.

Incidentally I have had my outside line replaced twice. The first time
after a tree surgeon dropped a branch on it and the second after the
builders merchants lorry crane fouled it. It is now high enough to clear
the crane and my neighbour has since had the offending tree felled.

--
Roger Chapman