Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

Default Second telephone line and NTE5 WAS Telephone wiring

On 5 Jan 2006 02:12:30 -0800, "jkn" wrote:

And would they be likely/willing to
upgrade my current non-NTE5 master socket to an NTE5 whilst they are at
it?

If you can get an engineer on site, and you're nice to them, then
they'll often do almost anything you ask - including "forgetting" a
couple of spare extension sockets.

It's years since I worked for BT, and I only ever worked on installs for
a brief period as a trainee sprog. This was back in the golden period of
a deregulated BT still with the ethics of the civil service. It was
drummed into us that it cost the GPO a fortune to have us driving around
all over the place and very little to actually be working on something
useful. So our goal at all times should be happy customers who didn't
phone up with new faults in the future - if that meant taking more time
to do something right, or recognising that some buckshee extension work
would inevitably be happening after we'd left and all concerned would be
better off if it were done competently, then all manner of blind eyes
were turned. Those days are gone, but there's stilll a basic attitude
that making the job "a good 'un" is the right thing to do.