Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim_in_sussex

Default Telephone wiring

Richard A Downing wrote:
On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 15:37:09 +0000
Andy Dingley wrote:

snip.....

The wiring was like this when I bought the house last July. How it got
to be I don't know.

I ordered ADSL from a non-BT biller and BT did not visit, it just
'turned on' on the day specified and has worked well since. I don't
have any problems with it at all.

I suspect your comment of puzzlement reflects BT's early roll out of
ADSL, and not the later, lower cost, approach.

a. if you have more than 1 microfilter connected, then they are
effectively in parallel across your incoming line & performance
degrades ever more as you pile more on, hence strong recommendation to
sort this out so you only have 1 main filter at source & have separate
wiring for ADSl & voice (as others recommend).

b. some years ago I hit the jackpot when our old style BT terminal at
house entry got rusty & as to whether you got a dial tone or not
picking up the handset became unreliable.

A call to 151 generated a visit from BT & bingo! a completely new free
terminal box (this was when plug in sockets were a new phenomenon).

Could your incoming terminal get rusty somehow ;-) ,,, broken wire
.......??

More recently within the last month I've installed an ADSl set up in
another house where there was trouble with an out of date BT rfi
filter. Again a visit from BT sorted out the filter AND provided a
proper up-to-date split ADSL/voice faceplate - all free. Latter visit
was more difficult to organize as it had to be done via the ISP who
were most reluctant to call out BT Wholesale.

Hence your best bet might be to organize a BT (Retail- ie call 151)
visit to clear a voice fault due to rusty connections (assuming you pay
line rental to BT) & with luck you'll get both jobs done.

HTH