Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder

Default Drilling on the Lathe - 3 Qs

Hello Owen,

I don't think the wood cares whether the drill is rotating or the wood itself.
The important part with that small of a bit is to have a center point in the
wood to fit the drill and the drill needs to be perpendicular to the surface in
which it is drilling. I normally drill small holes such as you are planning with
a hand held drill chuck, a small one for holding small drill bits, and the wood
rotating. I use a center punch to make an indent for the drill at the point
where I want to drill.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

In article , Owen Lowe
says...

Am planning on making some turned earrings in the next week and will be
drilling a very small hole through to attach the ear hardware.

1) Does it make any difference as to wandering if you turn the wood
while the bit is stationary or turn the bit and hold the wood?

2) Am drilling Hard Maple with a #60 bit. Any way to keep it on the
straight and true? When using this small of a bit, does Q1 come into
play any more than with larger bits?

Thanks