Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

Default Telephone wiring

On 4 Jan 2006 08:03:58 -0800, "Mark Carver"
wrote:

I'm puzzled as to your wiring, and how it got to be this way. What you
describe is typical of older wiring, but unusual for a line that has
been upgraded to ADSL.

Not at all. BT make no changes at all to the consumer's installation
when they enable ADSL. They normally don't even leave the exchange.

BT _may_ visit if they're installing ADSL, and they'll leave you with a
nice NTE5 and ADSL faceplate, which is a tidier job than plug-in
filters. I agree that they don't always visit (probably rarely), but
I'd thought that if records showed the premises to still be wired
without sockets then it would trigger this. My own ADSL install
involved 3 visits by two different engineers , and that was hardly early
days.

As to ADSL wiring beyond the filter then this is possible, but it will
involve extra plug-in connectors in the ADSL path. I've had to much
trouble with these in the past and I'd rather do it by hard wiring as
much as possible.