Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Default Telephone wiring

Richard A Downing wrote:

My bungalow has an old fashioned telephone system consisting of a BT
cable connected to a grey box (about 70x40mm tapered with a single
screw fixing). From here there is a wire to another identical-looking
box - only two core of the wire are connected). From this second box
there are two wires going to BT/RJ-11 sockets (65mm square surface
mounted bearing the old 'T' BT logo) - there are six wires connected
in at least one of these - there are three boxes and the interbox
wiring is not easy to trace in the loft. I have ADSL filters on all
the used sockets, of course.

Now I'm about to modernise everything, and it's a convenient time to
replace this wiring.

1) Can I install a modern Master Box directly from the first grey box?
Or do I have to pay BT to do this? (I'm aware that there is moderate
voltage (-48V ?) on the wires!)

2) Can I then wire new extensions from the master to ADSL-filtered
wall sockets throughout? I'll want 5-6 sockets, although I don't
foresee that many instruments - probably: Sky-box, ADSL modem,
Speaker-Phone and DECT-basestation (REN 4).

Pointers to FAQs/HowTos would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

R.

For general information on wiring extensions, etc. see
http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...telephone.html

As others have said, you ain't supposed to touch the wiring on the BT side
of the master socket - but many people do, and most don't end up in prison!

I would seriously suggest that you use a filtered faceplate in the master
socket - which separates the ADSL and voice signals at source, and does away
with the need for plug-in filters. If your ADSL modem/router/whatever needs
to be somewhere other than next to the master socket, use the modified
version of Clarity's filtered faceplate - which enables you to wire a
digital extension into the back, rather than having to plug into the front.
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate_mod.htm

--
Cheers,
Set Square