Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.tools.repair+advice,rec.woodworking

Default sealed window replacement needed? (was cordless drill thread)

Windows are a real bone of contention with me.

My windows - supposedly maintenance free - are now fogged up and the
routine is replace them entirely. People blithely buy a whole set of
new supposedly guaranteed windows.

This whole industry is a lark. The "sealed argon-filled double pane
window" is a lark. I want good old-fashoned storm windows - not
maintenances free, but at least you do not have to throw them away
every decade.

Anyway that's my rant. Now the question I have for you good folks:
Has anybody ever fixed one of those supposedly sealed windows?
I am going to try: One option would be to roast them or subject them
to a vacuum to draw out the moisture and then re-seal them with some
kind of low viscosity compound. Another solution i have been
considering is to drill vent holes at the corners of the outside pane.
You would still have a still air sandwich but not perfectly still - I
think the moisture will eventually leave. It would still probably be
necessary to seal them to prevent moisture transmission from the
inside but it would be easier since the window will no longer be
"pumping" air from temperature changes.

I really don't want to plunk down thousands for new windows when I
know that if there is a will there is a way to accomplish this.

***

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 11:18:18 -0500, "Bruce & Lois Nelson"
wrote:

large windows - frame rotting. Assuming the glass can be saved,
$10,000 to rebuild the frames plus ongoing maintenance or do it over again.
Replace complete with aluminum frames, low-e coating on the new glass
(sealed double glazed units), $18,000, maintenance free.