Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

Default Flywheel on a rotary phase convertor

In article , Christopher Tidy says...

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out if there is any benefit in adding a flywheel to
a rotary phase convertor.

There is no experimental data on this subject as far as I can see.

I have seen coherent, cogent arguments from respected folks
that support both views - one that it will help, the other that it
will hinder.

Those who suggest a flywheel is bad say that rotary converters
deliver transient power to the generated phase by allowing the rotor to
slip, and a flywheel prevents this.

Those who suggest a flywheel is good say that that flywheels store
rotational energy and will this is made available to transient loads.

Those two preceeding statements are pure paraphrase on my part, and
I of course apologize if I have mis-represented anyones comments.
But there's no empirical data out there as far as I can tell.

It wouldn't be that hard to instrument and measure.

Jim

please reply to: