Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

Default HVAC question and saga (long)

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
CBHVAC wrote:
"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

Al Moran wrote:

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 03:28:32 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

I think he pulled your chain. My inducer lost its seal in the unit and
so it wouldn't fire. They found that the unit was fine and resealed it
(new gasket) under the warranty. Out of curiosity, I asked how much it
have cost (them, not me) if they had to replace it and the repairman
replied that the inducer was $350. Ridiculous, but I also checked on
the Internet and some are not cheap, but not $350.

Did that cheaper price include fuel for the truck, the techs wage, the
lights at the shop... You ****ing homeowners think we should just give
**** away, truly amazing.

You are an idiot, a poor business man, and a thief if you sell service or
product at many times the cost. Every business has costs, you sound like
the hospital that gave explained the huge costs for analysis with a new
medical machine because the capital cost of the machine needed to be
recovered, indicating a recovery in about 10 years. Turned out that the
capital cost plus all of the maintenance costs were recovered in the
first year of operation.

Your fellow HVAC guy said the cost was only 20 or maybe $90 with a board.
Charging $350 for such an item would be simple theft.

Actually, it happens all the time, and its called free market.

Ever buy a new car?

Ever seen what that new car REALLY cost?

Give ya a hint....$30,000 Dodge Ram Pickup...made in Mexico...no leather,
no dually..just a basic 2500 series...what you think it cost start to
finish to delevery to make?
hint is, drop a figure...now you are down to 4 figures....but hey..you
paid the extra 21 grand for it.

Doesn't matter what "you" (meaning me) homeowner think, you won't need to
worry 'cause I'll fix or replace the part myself at a reasonable cost. If
not, I'll simply replace the whole damn thing which will be probably be
cheaper than having you replace a little itty bitty part. That won't
affect you much tho, because most people couldn't find the furnace let
alone change a fan. 'Course that's how lots of repair shops went broke.
Shops charged $70 to replace a $10 part in 1O minutes and the whole thing
only costs $90. Bye, bye repair shop.

And if this car is so cheap to build in our free market, how come there
are no equivalent cars built and sold for a lot less than that $30,000. In
fact, how come the U.S. automakers don't just lower the price so much that
they blow out the foreign car market?

Hummm...interesting question. Ahh...but there are.
See....we bought a new 2500 03 B-Van...extended, and the sticker was $27,000
and some change.
Total off the lot cash price? Under 16,500.
Ok..so it helps the old man owns a dealership, and it helps I got it at
whats called Green Sheet....but ya know, if you ask ANY tech that does PDI
inspections on the Mexican made trucks, (the van wasnt) they can tell you
that SOMETIMES, the shipping invoice is shoved under the seats, or left in a
glovebox, and they are to destroy it right off.
Thats NOT what it cost the dealer, mind you, thats what it cost the company
to build.

Hey,....if that was the case, I should be able to lower my prices on
say.....2.5 ton, 12SEER (yes..i have tons left) Affinity units to under
$2700 installed with an air handler.....wow....
(sarcasm here)
I did...and i got called a hack, a fool, and have the competition calling me
every name in the book...

Ask yourself this.....

If Mercedes say...suddenly started to offer a $10,000 500 series....would
you buy it?
I wouldnt.