Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
B.B.

Default Putting a hole in a frame rail.

In article rs.com,
(DoN. Nichols) wrote:

[...]

No, it was also chucked in the drill. But I did make sure to run it
much more slowly.

Hmm ... I thought that the bridge reamers were designed to be
driven by a wrench, so they have a square shaft.

I've seen several types of shanks on 'em. Perhaps "bridge reamer"
means a specific style of shank and I'm misusing the term. I've seen
square taper for a brace, hex for a wrench, and round with three flats
to fit a drill chuck. I've seen all three with the same business end.
(left hand spiral, right hand cut, gentle taper) I've also seen one
advertised as a "bridge reamer" that had straight flutes and a T-handle.
As far as I can tell a bridge reamer is anything that's designed to
widen and align holes.

Work hardening does not need much heat.

Do you happen to know the physics involved in work hardening? I've
never understood how it's even possible. I figure if I know how the
process works I can avoid it next time.

I *think* that it is simply a matter of crystals being oriented
by the pressure on the metal. Rub or roll on the metal (such as a drill
bit without enough force) and you get hardening.

Hmm. So kind of like a cross between forging and burnishing? Now,
regular heat treating moves harder alloying agents into different
crystal arrangements. Is that possible to do mechanically, or is it
just a case of the existing crystals are far harder to separate when
attacked from a specific angle?
I need to go to the library.

[ ... ]

Not sure for the bridge reamer, but I would probably use
Molly-Dee (Molybdenum Disulfide in oil) with the step drill.

What's a product name I can search for? "Molly-dee" just got me some
stupid song's lyrics. Adding "oil" got me articles mentioning cutting
fluid, but nothing about where to get the stuff.

Molly-Dee *is* a brand name. It is made by Castrol, and I get
mine from MSC from time to time.

Indeed. I managed to locate it after sending that message off.

If you don't know about MSC, call 1-800-645-7270 and register
with them. They will send you a 4000+ page catalog every year which is
full of things which can help you. They will also send you several
sales flyers each month. (I just looked through the flyer which arrived
today, and Molly-Dee is not there, so your price would be a bit higher
than when a sales price is in effect.

Yup, I know 'em. Ordered my toolbox from them, in fact. It was
supposed to be here last tuesday, but got lost in the mail. Supposed to
arrive for real tomorrow, but still uncertain. MSC has been good--it's
the shipping company that's screwing my pooch. After a whole series of
phone calls and threats I got those idiots to locate my toolbox--about a
mile from me, in their distribution center, where it's been since five
days before it was due to be delivered. I feel like I know Bobbi over
at MSC now. (:
I also requested a catalog, so I'm going to see which arrives here
first.