Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Default HVAC question and saga (long)

Al Moran wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 03:28:32 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

I think he pulled your chain. My inducer lost its
seal in the unit and so it wouldn't fire. They
found that the unit was fine and resealed it (new
gasket) under the warranty. Out of curiosity, I
asked how much it have cost (them, not me) if they
had to replace it and the repairman replied that
the inducer was $350. Ridiculous, but I also
checked on the Internet and some are not cheap,
but not $350.

Did that cheaper price include fuel for the truck, the techs wage, the
lights at the shop... You ****ing homeowners think we should just give
**** away, truly amazing.

You are an idiot, a poor business man, and a thief
if you sell service or product at many times the
cost. Every business has costs, you sound like the
hospital that gave explained the huge costs for
analysis with a new medical machine because the
capital cost of the machine needed to be
recovered, indicating a recovery in about 10
years. Turned out that the capital cost plus all
of the maintenance costs were recovered in the
first year of operation.

Your fellow HVAC guy said the cost was only 20 or
maybe $90 with a board. Charging $350 for such an
item would be simple theft.

Doesn't matter what "you" (meaning me) homeowner
think, you won't need to worry 'cause I'll fix or
replace the part myself at a reasonable cost. If
not, I'll simply replace the whole damn thing
which will be probably be cheaper than having you
replace a little itty bitty part. That won't
affect you much tho, because most people couldn't
find the furnace let alone change a fan. 'Course
that's how lots of repair shops went broke.
Shops charged $70 to replace a $10 part in 1O
minutes and the whole thing only costs $90. Bye,
bye repair shop.