Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Pat

Default abbreviations

"Tom Nie" wrote in message
Oh, I'll be the dumbask! The Cabal - sounds like something Greg G will
know.

I'm slowly catching on to some of this "stuff" - but have to be surprised
at Pat not picking up on LDD. Isn't that in the Smithsonian collection,
too. Basic language? Or is that just Lief's?

Extremely useful. I still don't have a clue. I don't know what the
reference to "Smithsonian collection" refers to. Or Basic Language. Or
Leif's. Does the Smithsonian collect all acronyms used by this group?

Google gave me these "LEGO Digital Designer" "Learning Difficulties and
Disabilities" "Unix ldd command" .

How much time and energy do I have to solve puzzles? Is that what I am here
for?

I think acronyms should be defined in the post the first time they are used.
So what if they have already been defined in previous posts. I haven't read
those nor will I.

At work I was talking with a 911 provider about maps. She kept referring to
CAD. Now CAD has a very clear meaning to me. Computer Aided Drafting. I
got confused as she talked because it wasn't making sense. Eventually I had
to ask her to spell out her meaning of CAD. Computer Aided Dispatch. I
"had" to learn her jargon. Do I have to do it at home engaging in my fun
activities as well? How much is one brain supposed to hold?

My own field uses jargon. I learned it. Jargon isolates you from the
general public and creates a special group. News groups are a public forum
intended to share information with a wide range of people. Isn't jargon in
conflict with its mission?

Want only long time expert news group readers to read your posts then use
jargon. Want all new people to be confused, use it a lot. Want to drive
off causal visitors? Use it.