Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Update to previsous post, "Can a plane *really* eliminate sanding..."

Thanks to everyone for the good advice. Talked to the guy at Woodcraft
who taught me sharpening, and he recommended a LN 4 1/2 smoother. His
recommendation was based on what I told him I was working on...mostly
cherry wood, plenty of tables/bookcases/etc. He said any tearout can
be remedied with a card scraper. Went home with it. Time will tell if
it's the right one for my needs, but it sure is a joy to use.

At the same time, my SWMBO bought me the LV Medium Shoulder Plane off
the wish list. What a jewel.

Just a few months ago, I posted a question along the likes of "If you
had to buy JUST ONE PLANE, which would it be..."

Of course, everyone warned me I wouldn't buy just one, and they were
right. I'm now own the above two, plus the LV low-angle block. (For
the record, those who said I wouldn't stop at one, you all suck and are
headed straight to hell.)

Hand planes are like crack, except they're sold in fewer places.