Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default hard versus soft solder

Speaking on Mapp and brazing - I just today got a small TS4000 hand Mapp torch
at HDepot. Tried it out - Mapp gass and a new design torch - venturi air input.
THe flame was blue and hot. I easily brazed alloy 15 bronze onto sheet steel scrap.
So no oxy tank - and much lower cost. Takes a little more time and at a lower heat,
but was ample.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
There are many low temp silver solders (hard) that a propane torch and
maybe
a propane with oxygen would be just fine.

I feel that MAPP should be held to the hottest tasks - as it really uses up
the oxygen just to be a flame.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

DoN. Nichols wrote:

According to mj :

Hi Andrew,
I know what you are talking about for the silver solder. I used to get
this stuff for my dad at his radiator repair shop (many years ago). It
came in strips something like 6" long, 1/8" wide and maybe 1/16" or so
thick. Will my little butane torch melt this stuff? What about my
propane mini-torch? Or is this something for an O-X setup?

How big is the mini-torch? The usual propane torch is a bit on
the low side for the silver soldering which I have tried, but replacing
the tank with a tank of MAAP gas makes a big difference.

You may also wish to build a structure of fire brick under and
around the workpiece, so your heat concentrates better.

I am building the hitch for my model trailer. It is going to be about
10 pieces in the area of the size of a quarter.

Hmm ... that is small. See my suggestion below.

I tried milling this
out of a solid chunk of brass, but my experience level is not up to
that task. Too many cuts and angles. I am now going to try to mill the
main pieces out of flat brass and then silver solder the main pieces
together (four pieces). I will then use a soft solder as mentioned for
the detail pieces. If I get some time tonite, I'll post a picture of
the hitch on my website.

Hmm ... I understand that silver solders are available in
various melting points, and that the standard practice is to use the
highest melting point for the first joint, then a lower one for the
next, and so on until complete, so you don't have problems with the
previous joint slipping when you are soldering the next one.

Good Luck,
DoN.

News==----
Newsgroups