Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

Default Group question on machining something

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
snip-------

They did not crack until I had them smashed about dead flat, and then

the
cracks started on the surface and did not penetrate. The parent tubing

was
beginning to crack at the same stage of smashing. So much for all of the
controversy, as far as I'm concerned.

--
Ed Huntress

I agree----but *only* with 4130. The higher carbon content of 4140 and
greater changes all of that. That was my original point.

That could well be true, probably in proportion to a similar increase in
carbon in plain-carbon grades.

Keep in mind that chromium increases the hardening potential of carbon, so
the material's carbon-related properties are somewhat higher than you would
have for 1030 or 1040, respectively.

--
Ed Huntress