Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck

Default What to look for in hiring roofing contractor?

I live in Columbia SC area, single story, no dormers, moderate pitch
(you can walk on it being careful.. I don't know the actual pitch)
with asphalt shingle roof in place. I have no visible leaks yet, but
noticed vertical cracks in shingles that run 3 or 4 ft long.
I have ridge vents, and soffit vents aren't blocked..
The shingles are not curled. From the ground, or ladder my roof looks
great!.. But when you get up on it you see these cracks.. large number
of them..
Should I do a tear off? (current roof is original.. 19 years old)
Should I wait for warmer weather? We're having temps in the mid 60's
this week,, but no telling for the next month..
Any suggestions on finding contractor? Besides asking neighbors..
I have the BBB web site bookmarked..
Are fiberglass shingles worth the extra costs?
Do I insist on full coverage of felt paper or is that just a cold
weather item? (currently have felt of unknown weight..)
What about flashing? Part of roof is less pitch, which causes two
areas of roof to meet siding. I can see parts of flashing from attic
where it transitions from behind siding to under shingles.. if this is
in good shape does it need to be replaced? same with what's around
chimney.. Nice and shiny like new..
Thanks for any advice
all this caught me by surprise.... I knew it was 19 years old though..
Chuck (in SC)